- Mr. V. T. Johnson : M.Com., D.F.M. & D.C.M. (Head of the Department)
Area of Interest: Marketing and Management
Recognized teacher for PG courses.
Faculty for M.Com. (Management).
- Ms. Varsha Ganatra: M.Com, SET, Registered for Ph.D.
Area of Interest: Management
Area of Research: Entrepreneurship
Recognized teacher for PG courses.
Faculty for M.Com. (Management) &T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance)
Member of Board of Studies of Commerce for syllabus framing (Autonomous) in K.J. Somaiya College Science & Commerce
Project Guide for T.Y.B.Com (Banking & Insurance) and T.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets) students
Authored books for F.Y.B.Com. & S.Y.B.Com.
Invited as guest speaker in various colleges
- Mr. Sachin Bhandarkar: M.Com., M.Phil., NET, SET
Area of Interest: Finance
Area of Research: Finance in Co-operative sector
Faculty for M.Com. (Accountancy) & T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance)
Project guide for T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance) and T.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets) students
Authored books for F.Y., S.Y. & T.Y.B.Com. (Accounting & Finance) and S.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets)
Invited as guest speaker in various colleges
- Dr. (Mrs.) Sadhana Digvijay Singh: M.Com, B.Ed., NET, SET
Area of Interest: Marketing
Area of Research: Marketing and E-Banking
Part of Syllabus framing committee for Sales Management & Retail Training (SMART) Course of University of Mumbai in collaboration with Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd.
Invited as Guest Lecturer at various colleges
Salient Features :
- The department conducts the following Add-On & Joint Certification Courses for the skill development of the students:
- Training & Development of “Employability Skills” – Mumbai Management Academy & Research (MMAR)
- Training & Development of “Professional Skills in Travel & Tourism” & Placement assistance – Thomas Cook
- Training students in “Financial Literacy” – Ambition Learning Solutions
- Caters to diverse career options due to combination of subjects
- Conducts Remedial Lectures for Slow Learners to improving their academic performance
- Collaboration with External agencies for inculcating research culture among students
- Offering Post Graduate Course Courses – M.Com in Accountancy and M.Com Management gives students more career opportunities.
- Members of the Department contribute immensely to the administration work of the college through different Committees viz. IQAC, Examination, Infrastructure, Time Table, Discipline, Cultural etc.
|1||Joint Certification Course||Travel and Tourism||Thomas Cook||60 hours|
|2||Joint Certification Course||Employability Skills||Mumbai Management Academy & Research (MMAR)||240 hours|
|3||Add-On Certificate course||Basics of Capital Markets||Ambition Learning Solutions||6 hours|
ACHIEVEMENTS OF DEPARTMENTS
- Prof. Varsha Ganatra Recognized teacher for M.Com (Management)
- Prof. Varsha Ganatra was felicitated by VESLARC for her contribution to Innovative Teaching
- Prof. Sadhana Singh – Got Best paper presenter award for Research paper on “E Banking- A recent Trend in Commerce An Empirical Study” presented at National Conference on ‘Recent Trends in Research Methodology in Commerce, Management and Social Sciences’ organized by University of Mumbai and The Bharat Education Society’s Gadge Maharaj College of Commerce & Economics on 18th and 19th December 2015
- Prof. Sadhana Singh – Got Best paper award for Research paper on “A Study On Service Quality Dimensions W.R.T. E- Banking In Public & Private Sector Banks” at Two Days International Conference on “MANAGEMENT & IT” Organized by Institute of Management & Computer Studies (IMCOST) on February 13th& 14th, 2016.
- Shaikh Nazneen Mohd. Anees Sabina of M.com Accountancy secured 1st Rank in University of Mumbai with O grade and 7.00 C.G.P., total marks 336 out of 600. She was felicitated by the Vice Chancellor of University of Mumbai in Convocation Hall on 29th December 2015
- Three students of S.Y.B.com won Second Prize for “Poster Making Competition”. Theme for the competition ‘Green India Vision 2020’ held at Bunts Sangha’s S.M. Shetty College of Science, Commerce and Management Studies, Powai, on 25th February 2016
- Seven students of T.Y.B.com conducted the Peer Learning Workshop on “Accounting Concepts and Principles” for the Third Year students of VES Polytechnic College. They were guided by Mrs. Varsha Ganatra & Mr. Sachin Bhandarkar
- Dr. Manish Shirgaokar a faculty in Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Alberta, Canada doing a research project focused on the ownership and the use of scooters, motorcycle and cars in middle-class Indian households conducted 2 focus group study with M.com students on 2nd December 2015. Students got to learn about research domains for about 2 hours.
- Ms. Ishdeep Saini & Ms. Shraddha Mane, students from S.Y. B. Com published a research paper titled as “Human Resource Outsourcing in SMEs An Exploration of critical issues” in the conference proceedings of V.E.S. College of Arts, Science & Commerce. They were guided by Mrs. V.B. Murthy & Mrs. Varsha Ganatra
EXTERNAL LINKAGES AND COLLABORATIONS
- VES College of Arts, Science and Commerce college has signed MoU with Mumbai Management Academy and Research for the conduct of Joint Certificate Course for “Employability Skills Development” of 240 hours duration. Mumbai Management Academy & Research in Association with All India Institute of Local Self- Government is registered with – National Skills Development Agency, Govt. of India. Mumbai Management Academy & Research (MMAR) is a not – for -profit organization providing employability skills training and career guidance to young Under Graduates, Graduate students in India. Founded in 2013, MMAR aims to help young students to develop new skills by giving them access to the relevant industry Job Profile, training and connecting them with employers and bridging the gap between the corporate and the students.Joint Certification Course is conducted at our college to impart Employability Skills among students. The Course is of 120 hours covering Common Subjects like Communication skills, Presentation Skills, Time Management, Team Building, Organizational Behaviour and Advanced MS-Excel. Another 120 hours training is in Specialization Subject where students do Primary Study and Project Work and appear for an exam to qualify for placements. In the last two academic years around 65 students have been trained and assisted in Placement by MMAR
- Thomas Cook – VES College of Arts, Science and Commerce college has signed MoU with Thomas Cook (India) Ltd, your award winning Travel Services Partner for conduct of Joint certification Course in Travel and Tourism. The duration of this program is of six months, which consist of 5 months of classroom session and one month of internship. Following 4 subjects from travel domain are covered in the Course. The subjects are as follows:
- Personality Development
- Amadeus software
In the academic year 2015-16, 13 students registered and have successfully completed.
They all were felicitated at the Convocation function of Thomas Cook Learning Centre. 3 students completed the Internship with Thomas Cook in MICE, Visa and International Ticketing Departments. Other students will complete the internship after their graduation.
- World Resources Institute Department of Commerce collaborated with World resource Institute to enhance students’ research domain. WRI is a non-governmental, non profit institution that works in many different fields to protect the environment and improve people’s quality of life. EMBARQ is WRI’s program that works to find sustainable solutions around urban planning and development in cities across the world, including India. WRI has set up a liaison office in India, to provide necessary support for the projects’ development. EMBARQ in India is partnering with Dr. Manish Shirgaokar who is a faculty in Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Alberta, Canada on a research project focused on the ownership and the use of scooters, motorcycle and cars in middle-class Indian households. The research focuses on aspects that drive middle-class household into private vehicle ownership such as notions of status, aspirations, opinions on sustainability and climate change that are usually not considered in economic models. He along with his team conducted 2 focus group study with M.com students on 2nd December 2015. Students got to learn about research domains for about 2 hours.
Conduct of Focus Group Study by Dr. Manish Shirgaonkar
- American Academy of Financial Management India
- The Department of Commerce organised a Staff Development Program (SDP) for the Teaching staff members on “Financial Education and Investor Awareness” in collaboration with American Academy of Financial Management India on 30th July, 2016. Total 26 teachers from different departments attended this program.
- The same program was also organised for Class III employees of VES College of Arts, Science & Commerce, VES Junior College, VESIT on 2nd August, 2016. Total 35 staff members attended it.
- K136 Global Sales & Marketing Partner (Japan) – Commerce Department had organised An interactive session of students with Japanese delegates of K136 Global Sales & Marketing Partner on “Upcoming Opportunities in India & Japan “on 5th August, 2016 at 11.00 a.m. in College Auditorium.Four students of S.Y.B.Com- Miss Prajna Bhandary, Miss Simran Nawani, Miss Shriya Naidu and Miss Mitali Dhonde got selected for internship. The company is an advisory firm based in Japan and supporting Japanese firms to come into the India market. At the same time, they provide this internship to create an opportunity for students to gain international business knowledge.
- Maruhachi Tent Co. Ltd., Japan MoU has been signed with Maruhachi Tent Co. Ltd., Japan for the conduct of Internship Programme along with special internship training courses (Online & Offline)Maruhachi Tent Co., Ltd is a company which is into manufacturing, designing, installation and sale of tents in Japan. Located in Nagoya,city of Manufacturing, Maruhachi tent corporation has always been trying to create innovative and original tent products since it was founded in 1951. As a result, our products are so unique that those products go beyond people’s imagination. Those are examples of their portfolio.In 1998, Maruhachi Tent Corporation has received the IFAI (Industrial Fabrics Association International) award of excellence. Our carbon product Nishijin Carbon is certified by the METI (The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japanese Government) Maruhachi Tent Corporation acquired certification and got registered for ISO9001: 2000 / JIS Q 9001: 2000. Maruhachi Tent Corporation continues to strive to create innovative products.Ten students have been currently selected for the Internship programme.
- Peer Learning Workshop on “Business Accounting Concepts and Principles” – Seven students of T.Y.B.com Ms. Kirti Deshmukh, Mr. Mohit Pal, Mr. Aravind Palaresam, Ms. Samreen Mohd. Ali, Ms. Megha Panchal and Ms. Renuka Singh conducted the Peer Learning Workshop on “Business Accounting Concepts and Principles” for the Third Year students of VES Polytechnic College on 7th, 10th & 16th September 2016. They were guided by Mrs. Varsha Ganatra & Mr. Sachin Bhandarkar.
- Collaboration with Pratham NGO – Commerce Department has collaborated with Pratham NGO. Mrs.Varsha Ganatra conducted 2 workshops to motivate the students of their Pratima Beauty Training Centre at Chembur camp and Kalwa. 53 students benefited by the motivational talk. Three students of S.Y.B.com-Mayur Solanki, Shankar Yerkaliand and Shwetali Mhatre undertook Internship (Volunteering) for 32 hours each (Total 96 hours) at Pratham Livelihood Centre, Head Office, Kamgar Nagar Kurla. The students helped in content development for their Automobile Training centre and also in translation of video content. It was indeed a rich learning experience for students.
- Collaboration with Apnalaya NGO – Four students of S.Y.B.com Ms. Karishma Paigwar, Ms. Supriya Jaiswal, Mr. Jayesh Rambade and Mr. Manas Umate undertook Internship (Volunteering) for 42 hours at Apnalaya NGO, Govandi. They worked in Livelihood Centre, Education Centre, Creche and in Main office. They assisted in conducting meetings, data entry and motivating girls to come forward for education. This experience sensitized them towards social problems faced by the people from underprivileged communities.
Ms. Shaikh Nazneen Mohd Anees Sabina secured Grade O with CGPA 7.00 in M.Com (Accountancy) Examination held in March 2015 and was felicitated by Vice-Chancellor of University of Mumbai on 29th December, 2015.
Commerce Department Presentation 2016
- Dr. (Ms.) Minal M. Parab:DESIGNATION: Assistant Professor in Environmental Studies.
Qualification: Ph.D. (Geography) University of Mumbai, M.Phil. Planning & Development H.S.S IIT Powai.
M.A. Geography University of Mumbai.
Areas of Research and Interest: Environmental Geography, Sustainable Water Management, Rural Development, Biodiversity Conservation, Nature Trails and Meditation.
- Member of Bombay Geographical Association (BGA) Mumbai
- Member of Bombay Natural History Society. (BNHS)Mumbai
3. Member of Institute of Indian Geographers (IIG) Pune
- Mr. H. P. Shukla :M.A