- Mr. V. T. Johnson : M.Com., D.F.M. & D.C.M. (Head of the Department)
Area of Interest: Marketing and Management
Recognized teacher for PG courses.
Faculty for M.Com. (Management).
- Dr (Ms.) Varsha Ganatra: M.Com, SET, Ph.D.
Area of Interest: Management
Area of Research: Entrepreneurship
Recognized teacher for PG courses.
Faculty for M.Com. (Management) &T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance)
Member of Board of Studies of Commerce for syllabus framing (Autonomous) in K.J. Somaiya College Science & Commerce
Project Guide for T.Y.B.Com (Banking & Insurance) and T.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets) students
Authored books for F.Y.B.Com. & S.Y.B.Com.
Invited as guest speaker in various colleges
- Mr. Sachin Bhandarkar: M.Com., M.Phil., NET, SET
Area of Interest: Finance
Area of Research: Finance in Co-operative sector
Faculty for M.Com. (Accountancy) & T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance)
Project guide for T.Y.B.Com. (Banking & Insurance) and T.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets) students
Authored books for F.Y., S.Y. & T.Y.B.Com. (Accounting & Finance) and S.Y.B.Com. (Financial Markets)
Invited as guest speaker in various colleges
- Dr. (Mrs.) Sadhana Digvijay Singh: M.Com, B.Ed., NET, SET, Ph.D
Area of Interest: Marketing
Area of Research: Marketing and E-Banking
Part of Syllabus framing committee for Sales Management & Retail Training (SMART) Course of University of Mumbai in collaboration with Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd.
Invited as Guest Lecturer at various colleges
- The department conducts the following Add-On & Joint Certification Courses for the skill development of the students:
- Training & Development of “Professional Skills in Travel & Tourism” & Placement assistance – Thomas Cook
- Training students in “Financial Literacy” – Ambition Learning Solutions
- Caters to diverse career options due to combination of subjects
- Conducts Remedial Lectures for Slow Learners to improve their academic performance
- Collaboration with External agencies for inculcating research culture among students
- Offering Post Graduate Courses – M.Com in Accountancy and M.Com in Management gives students more career opportunities.
- Members of the Department contribute immensely to the administration work of the college through different Committees viz. IQAC, Examination, Infrastructure, Time Table, Discipline, Career Guidance and Placement, DLLE, Cultural etc.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF DEPARTMENT
- Dr Varsha Ganatra Recognized teacher for M.Com (Management)
- Dr. Varsha Ganatra was felicitated by VESLARC for her contribution to Innovative Teaching
- Dr. Sadhana Singh – Got Best paper presenter award for Research paper on “E Banking- A recent Trend in Commerce An Empirical Study” presented at National Conference on ‘Recent Trends in Research Methodology in Commerce, Management and Social Sciences’ organized by University of Mumbai and The Bharat Education Society’s Gadge Maharaj College of Commerce & Economics on 18th and 19th December 2015
- Dr Sadhana Singh – Got Best paper award for Research paper on “A Study On Service Quality Dimensions W.R.T. E- Banking In Public & Private Sector Banks” at Two Days International Conference on “MANAGEMENT & IT” Organized by Institute of Management & Computer Studies (IMCOST) on February 13th& 14th, 2016.
- Dr. Sadhana Singh received Rashtriya Yuva Puraskar for contribution in education and research from KND Bahuuddeshiya Mandal, Nashik on 17th March, 2017
- Shaikh Nazneen Mohd. Anees Sabinaof com Accountancy secured 1st Rank in University of Mumbai with O grade and 7.00 C.G.P., total marks 336 out of 600. She was felicitated by the Vice Chancellor of University of Mumbai in Convocation Hall on 29th December 2015
Maruhachi Tent Co. Ltd., Japan MoU has been signed with Maruhachi Tent Co. Ltd., Japan for the conduct of Internship Programme along with special internship training courses (Online & Offline)Maruhachi Tent Co., Ltd is a company which is into manufacturing, designing, installation and sale of tents in Japan. Located in Nagoya,city of Manufacturing, Maruhachi tent corporation has always been trying to create innovative and original tent products since it was founded in 1951. As a result, our products are so unique that those products go beyond people’s imagination. Those are examples of their portfolio.In 1998, Maruhachi Tent Corporation has received the IFAI (Industrial Fabrics Association International) award of excellence. Our carbon product Nishijin Carbon is certified by the METI (The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japanese Government) Maruhachi Tent Corporation acquired certification and got registered for ISO9001: 2000 / JIS Q 9001: 2000. Maruhachi Tent Corporation continues to strive to create innovative products.Ten students have been currently selected for the Internship programme.
- Extension Activities
1. Peer Learning Workshop on “Business Accounting Concepts and Principles”
– Students of T.Y.B.com conduct Peer Learning Workshop on “Business
Accounting Concepts and Principles” for the Third Year students of VES
Polytechnic College from last 3 years. They are guided by Dr. Varsha Ganatra &
Mr. Sachin Bhandarkar.
2. Collaboration with Pratham NGO – Commerce Department has collaborated
with Pratham NGO. Mrs.Varsha Ganatra conducted 2 workshops to motivate the
students of their Pratima Beauty Training Centre at Chembur camp and Kalwa. 53
students benefited by the motivational talk. Three students of S.Y.B.com-Mayur
Solanki, Shankar Yerkaliand and Shwetali Mhatre undertook Internship
(Volunteering) for 32 hours each (Total 96 hours) at Pratham Livelihood Centre,
Head Office, Kamgar Nagar Kurla. The students helped in content development for
their Automobile Training centre and also in translation of video content. It was
indeed a rich learning experience for students.
3. Collaboration with Apnalaya NGO – Four students of S.Y.B.com Ms. Karishma
Paigwar, Ms. Supriya Jaiswal, Mr. Jayesh Rambade and Mr. Manas Umate
undertook Internship (Volunteering) for 42 hours at Apnalaya NGO, Govandi.
They worked in Livelihood Centre, Education Centre, Creche and in Main office.
They assisted in conducting meetings, data entry and motivating girls to come
forward for education. This experience sensitized them towards social problems
faced by the people from underprivileged communities.
Photo Gallery for Extension Activities
Commerce Department activities of 2017-18
Commerce department conducts various Intra class competitions. "Biz-wiz" – A
Power point presentation for S.Y.B.Com and S.Y.B.A was organized on the topics
based recent trends in finance and management. Around 50 students participated
for the same. SERVQUAL – An Inter-Class Role play, Power Point Presentation,
Elocution Competition on topics related to service sector was organized in which
around 72 students participated. As Bill Gates has rightly said “Whether it’s
Google or Apple or free software, we’ve got some fantastic competitors and it
keeps us on our toes”, the department organized “Ad-Buzz” – An Interclass
Advertising Quiz for S.Y.B.com students to assess their advertising knowledge,
and promote competitive spirit among them. The teams who participated were
‘SAB ke Sikandar’, “ZEE ke zabardast” and “STAR PLUS ke Rising Stars”, along
with innovative social advertisements as TV Commercials being performed by the
students. It was an experience of practical learning combined with fun. Students of
S.Y.B.Com Division C, “STAR PLUS ke Rising Stars” won the first prize.
A "Research Methodology Workshop" for M.com students was organised to give
them guidance relating to technicalities involved in the Project Work thereby
improving their knowledge and project quality. The Resource Person for the
Workshop was Dr. Sangeeta Pawar, Associate Professor and Senate Member from
University of Mumbai. To bridge the gap between theory and practical learning,
guest lectures of experts on "GST-Decoded", “Career Opportunities in Travel and
Tourism Industry” by Thomas Cook and "Careers in Financial Planning" were
To give practical insight into the working of the industry and understand their
Costing and Production processes, an industrial visit was organised to Wada.
Around 100 students got an opportunity to visit Hyderabad Industries Limited
(HIL), Hindustan Coca – Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd. & S.L Corbox Pvt.Ltd.
The Department always takes special efforts to encourage and motivate F.Y.B.A
Commerce students. An Exhibition cum Competition was organized, where the
students displayed their knowledge of banking and insurance services with posters
- (Dr.) Minal M. Parab: Assistant Professor in Environmental Studies.
Qualification: Ph.D. (Geography) University of Mumbai, M.Phil. Planning & Development H.S.S IIT Powai. M.A. Geography University of Mumbai.
Areas of Research and Interest: Environmental Geography, Sustainable Water Management, Rural
Development, Biodiversity Conservation, Nature Trails and Meditation.
- Member of Bombay Geographical Association (BGA) Mumbai
- Member of Bombay Natural History Society. (BNHS)Mumbai
- Member of Institute of Indian Geographers (IIG) Pune
- Organized a guest lecture on “Siachen Glacier and Global Warming: An Environmental Perspective” for F.Y.B.COM Students on the 9th of January 2016. Capt.(Retd.) AmeyDeshmukh who had first-hand experience of serving at Siachen Post delivered a the lecture. The objective was understanding the environmental implications of global warming on the glaciers and over earth environment and to sensitize the students about harsh climate and difficulties faced by Indian Army.
- Organized a Nature Trail to Maharashtra Nature Park for F.Y.B.Com students. The objective was understanding Forest Ecosystem, acquiring knowledge of organic composting and biodiversity about 10 students participated in the trail they were accompanied by EVS faculty Prof. Minal Parab.
- Poster making Competition for F. Y.BOM Students. Prof. Shikha Datta and Prof. Lekha Nambiar were the respected judges.
- Mr. H. P. Shukla :M.A