PHYSICS DEPARTMENT :
The department is recipient of the DST-FIST (Department of Science and Technology Funding for Improvement of Science and Technology Infrastructure) grant and Department of Biotechnology (DBT) – STAR College grant since 2016-2017
- Ms. Hemlatha Deshpande, (HOD) : M.Sc. Mangalore Uni.
She is very much interested in Physics popularization and is involved in motivating activities of Physics association. Her area of interest is Astronomy and Cosmology. She is also interested in Electronic instrumentation.She is a recognized P.G. Teacher in Physics. She is member of IAPT
- Ms. Sulekha Gopinath: M.Sc. Mumbai Uni., M.Phil Mumbai Uni.
M.Phil. dissertation dealt with tunnelling in electronic devices.
She is a recognized P.G. Teacher in Physics. She is member of IAPT
- Dr. Ms.Anita Kanwar, (Vice Principal) : M.Sc.- Mumbai University, Ph.D.- Mumbai University
Her area of interest includes Liquid crystals, Nano-particles, Materials Science and Electronics. She has successfully completed two Mumbai University sponsored Minor research projects. She is currently working as Principal Investigator on the Major Research project sanctioned by UGC. She is recognized guide of Mumbai University for Ph.D. in Physics. Presently one student is working under her guidance. She has 23 research publications and 01 patent to her credit. Also received the Distinguished Associate Professor award from IIT Spoken Tutorials and Computer Society of India in January 2017.
Patent Application is accepted and published
- Dr. Devidas Gulwade: M.Sc., Ph.D. (IIT Bombay)
His area of interest is Ferroelectric materials, Pulsed laser deposition (PLD) technique for thin film synthesis, X-ray Crystallography and Rietveld analysis as well as Electrical and dielectric properties of ceramics. He has thirteen research articles to his credit in various journals and conferences of academic repute.
- Mr. Shrikant Ghodke: M.Sc. Physics (Nuclear Physics), M.Sc. Physics (Astronomy & Space Physics)
His area of interest includes Liquid crystals, Nano-particles, Materials science and Linux (free and open source software) popularization. He is member of IAPT and IATE.
- Dr.(Mrs.) Sarla Rathi: M.Sc., Ph.D.
Her Ph. D is awarded by Mumbai University, but the work was done at BARC and TIFR. She is an Experimental Nuclear Physicist. She has 5 years post doctoral research experience in different labs like Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, VECC, in India and Institute fÃ¼r Kern Physik, Technische Universitaat, Darmstadt, Germany.Research area of expertise: Radiation detection, Accelerator based Nuclear Physics, mainly Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Reactions using both stable and unstable ion beams, and electron scattering experiments.Awards/Fellowships:
- Recipient of IPA Best thesis award for the year 2003-2004 in D.A.E. symposium held at BARC.
- DAAD fellowship for the year 2005-2006 (Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service for postdoctoral research).
Membership: member of IAPT, IPA, was a member of DPG organization, Germany. Alumni of DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst)
- Dr. Santosh Bhaskaran : M.Sc. (IIT Bombay), Ph.D. (Pune University)
Email : email@example.com
His area of interest is Gravitational Biophysics, Space Biology and Astrobiology. He is a Co-Investigator in a DBT Research Project titled “Application of microgravity assisted endothelial tubes in wound healings”, Amount sanctioned 46.758 lacs. Recently he has received a sum of Rs. 27,000 from Mumbai University. His patent application for Interplanetary Travel G Simulator along with Dr. Suvro Chatterjee has been approved by CSIR for PCT patent. He has provided consultancy services to Prof. Mohan Karuppayil, School of Life Sciences, SRTMU, Nanded by developing a clinostat for him.He is Reviewer in reputed international journals viz., Astrobiology and PLOS-One.
An ex-member of the International Society for Gravitational Physiology and the American Physiological Society
Patent Application is accepted and published
- Remedial Course for F.Y.B.Sc./S.Y.B.Sc. students in need of academic support.
- Talent nurture/Bridge Course for S.Y.B.Sc. students opting for Physics in T.Y.B.Sc. The course involves problem solving sessions, lab sessions. Besides improving on their conceptual understanding and orienting students for final year, this program is also intended to prepare our students for competitive exams such as NGPE, IIT-JAM, Central universities etc.
- Many state-of-the-art equipments for academic and research activities. These include
Active PHYSICS ASSOCIATION
- Activities include lectures by eminent scientists on special topics, exhibition, quiz, Physics Presentation on special topics. Physics Problem League, etc
- Visit to research labs in BARC, TIFR, HBCSE, MUMBAI UNIVERSITY
- Intra and intercollegiate activities such as Student Seminars on different topics in Physics, Kaun Banega Physicist Quiz, etc.
Workshops on Biophysics, Space Biology and Medicine,
Nuclear Physics Workshop
Workshop on “Current Trends in Nuclear Physics” A one day workshop on “Current Trends in Nuclear Physics” was organized by the
physics department on 4th January 2017 in VES College Auditorium. The event was funded by DBT under Star College scheme.
Objective : Nuclear Physics is a subject in FYBSc and TYBSc curriculum. The objective of the workshop is to introduce the current trends in nuclear physics to students as well as to teachers from physics and chemistry department. About the program: We had four invited talks by eminent scientists, covering the area of Nuclear reactions, detectors, accelerators, spectroscopy and Indian Neutrino
Observatory. Prof. V. M. Datar of TIFR gave a talk on “Indian Neutrino Observatory Project”. Prof. K. Mahata of BARC gave a talk on “Nuclear Reaction: Tools and detectors” . Prof. R. Palit of TIFR on “Nuclear Spectroscopy in stars using high resolution gamma
spectroscopy”. Prof. S. Kailas of CEBS on “Nuclear Research: Progress and Prospects”.
Beneficiaries : Apart from the organizers, 19 teachers from physics and chemistry
department and 8 students from different colleges and 55 in-house students
participated in the workshop.
Students join post-graduate programs of Universities and they also have been selected in graduate school of TIFR, Graduate School of S.N. Bose Centre, Kolkata and Integrated Ph.D. programme in IISC, BARC etc. Our alumni also include people working in National Labs like BARC, software companies, academic institutions in India and abroad, industries and various other fields.