Biotechnology Department (Estb. 2003)
Recipient of STAR-DBT Grant 2016-17
Research Partner: HiMedia Pvt. Ltd
Teaching-Learning Collaborator: HBCSE (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education) Trombay
100% Results for the past seven years!!
- The department received the award for ‘Highest Contribution Towards Addressing Thrust Areas of Quality Enhancement’ given by the college IQAC.
- New fully functional ATC lab. 30 students successfully trained.
- Conduct of Teacher training program on HUMAN GENETICS with the help of LTMT (Lady Tata Memorial Trust) and IWSA (Indian Women Scientist Association) and support of BARC. This program was organized in collaboration with the Microbiology department of the college.
- Conduct of BIOSCIENCE seminar with STAR-DBT funding for students of biotechnology and microbiology. Topics covered included Bioterrorism, Biodiversity, Ecology, etc.
- Ms. Vinaya Jategaonkar: M.Sc. (Microbiology) ,D.C.A., NET cleared Jul 2013 (Co-ordinator)
Field of Interest: Genetics and Immunology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Shmilona Jain: M. Sc. (Biomedical Science), NET-JRF cleared 2005
Field of Interest: Biochemistry and Bioinstrumentation
Research areas: Protein chemistry
- Ms. Geetanjali Harale: M. Sc. (Microbiology)
Field of Interest: Industrial & Molecular Biology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Ankita Jadhav: M.Sc. (Life Science)
Field of Interest: Cell biology and Industrial Biotechnology
Research areas: Animal tissue culture
- Ms. Ketakee Dharmadhikari: M.Sc. (Life Science)
Field of Interest: Life Science
Research areas: Molecular Microbiology
Courses Offered: B.Sc. Biotechnology
Salient Features of the department
- Mentorship program for all students
- Undergraduate research activities under CUBE (HBCSE) and otherwise
- University Rank holder in 06-07
- Motivation to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities
- Guest lectures by subject experts
- Association activities like Seminar Presentation, Poster Making, Essay Writing, Movie Screening and Quiz.
- Additional skill-based/ knowledge based courses conducted
- Air conditioned Laboratory
- A new additional laboratory for activities under STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
- Disease Awareness Drives conducted in the neighboring schools and colleges by students
- Collaboration with HiMedia Laboratories for student enrichment and conduct of activities under STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
|Guest Lectures||Biosciences seminar was organized in February 2018 for the students of Biotechnology and Microbiology, under the STAR-DBT scheme. Talks on varied topics were arranged in the same.|
|Industrial Visit||Students of second and third year were taken to various industries and institutes to enhance their understanding of the subjects taught and also to help them understand the future of the course.
|Microbiology-Biotechnology Association||The students get a platform to showcase their knowledge and interests in the field of biotechnology through the various events organized under the banner of this association.
|Intercollegiate Events||This year the microbiology and biotechnology departments organized a Teachers’ Training workshop on Human Genetics with the help of IWSA (Indian Women Scientists Association) and sponsored by LTMT (Lady Tata Memorial Trust). 30 teachers from all over Maharashtra attended the three-day long workshop.|
|Certificate Course||Prof. Shmilona Jain conducts a certificate course on scientific writing to improve the writing skills of the students.|