BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT (Estb. 2003)
Recipient of STAR-DBT Grant 2016-17
Research Partner: HiMedia Pvt. Ltd
Teaching-Learning Collaborator: HBCSE (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education) Trombay
100% Results for the past seven years!!
- Ms. Vinaya Jategaonkar: M.Sc. (Microbiology) ,D.C.A., NET cleared Jul 2013 (Co-ordinator)
Field of Interest: Genetics and Immunology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Shmilona Jain: M. Sc. (Biomedical Science), NET-JRF cleared 2005
Field of Interest: Biochemistry and Bioinstrumentation
Research areas: Protein chemistry
- Ms. Geetanjali Harale: M. Sc. (Microbiology)
Field of Interest: Industrial & Molecular Biology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Archana Pote: M.Sc. (Life Sciences)
Field of Interest: Genetics
Research areas: Neurobiology
- Ms. Rama Bhatia: M.Sc. (Biotechnology), M.Sc. (Molecular Medical Microbiology)
Field of Interest: Molecular Biology
Research areas: Molecular Microbiology
Courses Offered: B.Sc. Biotechnology
- Mentorship program for all students
- Undergraduate research activities under CUBE (HBCSE) and otherwise
- University Rank holder in 06-07
- Motivation to participate in co curricular and extracurricular activities
- Guest lectures by subject experts
- Association activities like Seminar Presentation, Poster Making, Essay Writing, Movie Screening and Quiz.
- Additional skill-based/ knowledge based courses conducted
- Skill Development and stress Management programs conducted for TYBSC students
- 100% pass percentage in the last six year (2012-13)
- Air conditioned Laboratory
- A new additional laboratory for activities under STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
- Disease Awareness Drives conducted in the neighboring schools and colleges by students
- Collaboration with Marathi Vidnyan Parishad for Intercollegiate event
- ” Collaboration with HiMedia Laboratories for student enrichment and conduct of activities under STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
|Guest Lectures||Students interact with eminent personalities from industry and academia when they visit the college as judges for events or for guest lectures. Some eminent visitors to the department include: Dr. Milind Watve, Professor(Biology), IISER Pune; Dr. Anupma Harshal, Asst. Professor, KC College; Mr. Anil Seth and Mr. Tyagrajan, NPCL; Mr. Ramprasad Sethuraman, Graduate Researcher (Warsaw University of Technology, USA) and Mr. Abhijit Santhanam, Graduate Researcher (New Jersey Institute of Technology ,USA); Dr. Smita Zhingde (IWSA); Dr. Farheen Arif Shaikh (Assistant Manager- Medical Affairs at Themis Medicare Limited.)
Our alumni also visit us regularly and interact actively with our students.
|Industrial Visit||Students are taken on a one-day visit to Pune or Nashik where they visit various laboratories and biotechnology based industries. It is a wonderful exposure for them to connect their theoretical knowledge to practical applications.
Pune Visit Report
Nashik Visit Report
|CUBE||In association with HBCSE, TIFR, Trombay, the students participated in Collaborative Undergraduate Biology Education (CUBE) programme which allowed them to carry out research and also discuss it on a national platform.
|Disease Awareness Drives||For the past two years the students of the department carry out awareness programmes for commonly occurring diseases. They discuss the cause, prevention and cure of the same in college and schools in the neighborhood of the college
Disease Awareness Drives Page
|Microbiology-Biotechnology Association||The students get a platform to showcase their knowledge and interests in the field of biotechnology through the various events organized under the banner of this association
|Intercollegiate Events||The department with the help of Marathi Vidnyan Parishad organizes an intercollegiate event on ‘Research Paper Presentation’ for undergraduate students of Biotechnology and Microbiology.
MVP event 2012-13
MVP event 2014-15
|Certificate Course||Prof. Shmilona Jain conducts a certificate course on scientific writing to improve the writing skills of the students
Scientific Writing Course
|Extension activities||Six students of T.Y.B.Sc participated in Medical camp held by Surana Sethia Hospital, GSB hall Sion on 26th January 2016 as volunteers. They helped in collection of samples and preparation of reports.
Four students of TYBSc Biotechnology under the guidance of Ms. Shmilona Jain worked as volunteers in a Blood Donation Camp jointly organized by Bharat Jain Mahamandal, Divine India Youth Association, Kanchi Kamakoti Kainkarya Sabha and Telugu Sahitya Samiti in association with Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai at Atomic Energy Central School-1 on 14th February 2016.