Biotechnology Department (Estb. 2003)
- Recipient of STAR-DBT Grant 2016-17
- Research Partner: HiMedia Pvt. Ltd
- Teaching-Learning Collaborator: HBCSE (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education) Trombay
- 100% Results from 2006-2018
Highlights of the Department:
- Fully functional ATC lab. 50 students successfully trained.(2017-2020)
- Four days hands on workshop on Molecular Biology to understand Genetic Recombination Technology in collaboration with Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai.
- A three day workshop on “Basics of Animal Tissue Culture” in association with Himedia labs Pvt. Ltd.
- A two day Exhibition cum Festival “Bionova” for the students and teachers of the college
- Industrial visits to reputed institutes of Hyderabad (2019-20)
- Conducting Career guidance program “DISHA” since 2017 at the college premises for the students taking up Life science as a career. This year DISHA 2020 was conducted online
- The Department received the award for ‘Highest Contribution Towards Addressing Thrust Areas of Quality Enhancement’ given by the college IQAC.(2017-2018)
- Conduct of Teacher training program on HUMAN GENETICS with the help of LTMT (Lady Tata Memorial Trust) and IWSA (Indian Women Scientist Association) and support of BARC. This program was organized in collaboration with the Microbiology department of the college.(2017-18)
- Conduct of BIOSCIENCE seminar with STAR-DBT funding for students of biotechnology and microbiology. Topics covered included Bioterrorism, Biodiversity, Ecology, etc.(2017-18)
- Alumni Fund for the payment of fees of Needy students(2019-20)
- Ms. Vinaya Jategaonkar: M.Sc. (Microbiology) ,D.C.A., NET cleared Jul 2013 (Co-ordinator)
Field of Interest: Genetics and Immunology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Shmilona Jain: M. Sc. (Biomedical Science), NET-JRF cleared 2005
Field of Interest: Biochemistry and Bioinstrumentation
Research areas: Protein chemistry
- Ms. Geetanjali Harale: M. Sc. (Microbiology) NET cleared 2017
Field of Interest: Industrial & Molecular Biology
Research areas: Biochemistry
- Ms. Ankita Jadhav: M.Sc. (Life Science)
Field of Interest: Cell biology and Industrial Biotechnology
Research areas: Animal tissue culture
Courses Offered: B.Sc. Biotechnology
Salient Features of the department:
- Mentorship program for all students
- Undergraduate research activities under CUBE (HBCSE) and otherwise
- Industrial Visits to important Biotechnology based Institutes in the nation
- University Rank holder in 06-07
- Motivation to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities
- Guest lectures by subject experts
- Association activities like Seminar Presentation, Poster Making, Essay Writing, Movie Screening and Quiz.
- Additional skill-based/ knowledge based courses conducted and workshops equipping the students to be suitable for the market and job ready
- Air conditioned Laboratory
- Disease Awareness Drives conducted in the neighboring schools and colleges by students
- Collaboration with HiMedia Laboratories for student enrichment and conduct of activities under STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
|Career guidance Program||DISHA – the alumni of the Department having achieved positions in various fields were invited to interact with the students and parents of Biotechnology as well as Microbiology. Guiding them about careers in the subject|
The students went to the most reputed Biotechnology Institutes and Industries in India. Which included the Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) and Kamineni Hospital –top most in screening for genetic disorders.
|Exhibition Cum Departmental Fest||BIONOVA an amalgamation of fun, learning and visually pleasing exhibits. From games based on biology to tasting of lovely Yoghurt flavors prepared by the students, from blood group testing to observation of nucleic acid and cells under the microscope.
The students and teachers of other departments in the college visited the department and enjoyed so many exhibits
|Guest Lectures||A talk by the College Librarian Dr. Meghana Sanjeeva on “ Use of online resources for referencing in research” was arranged for all the under graduate and post graduate students of Biotechnology and Microbiology.|
|Research||The department could successfully send students for “Avishkar” – Research convention of Mumbai University and also to “Jigyasa“ – intercollegiate research presentation conducted by K.C college.|
- Report – 2019-20
- Report – 2018-19
- Report – 2017-18
- Report – 2016-17
- Report – 2015-16
- Report – 2014-15
- Report – 2013-14
- Report – 2012-13
A two day exhibition cum departmental festival was conducted with the intention of making the students and teachers aware of the Marvels and magic of Biology. It is an amalgamation of fun, learning and visually pleasing exhibits. From games based on biology to tasting of lovely Yoghurt flavors prepared by the students, from blood group testing to observation of nucleic acid and cells under the microscope.
A very unique and enjoyable way to learn about what happens inside a Biotechnology Laboratory indeed!