- Department of Chemistry conducted the SYBSC Revised Syllabus Workshop on 12 June 2017
- Department of Microbiology in association with Lady Tata Memorial Trust, Mumbai conducted a teachers’ training workshop on Human Genetics from 15-17th January 2018.
- Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology in association with Vijnan Bharati under the DBT STAR COLLEGE scheme conducted a student seminar on “Biosciences : An Avenue for Better Tomorrow” on 17th and 18th February 2018
- “Biophysics: Introduction and Opportunities” was organised by the Department of Physics on 6th March 2018. Four speakers working in diverse fields of biophysics were invited. Dr. Pandit Vidyasagar, Vice Chancellor,
Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded gave an introductory lecture on biophysics and described various opportunities in biophysics research. The seminar was attended by students and faculty from Microbiology, Chemistry and Biotechnology departments of VES College as well as by faculty from Physics (five) and Biotechnology (one) departments of various other colleges in Mumbai. The seminar received an extremely positive response as per the feedback received.2016-2017
On 18th Jan 2017, National level Research poster competition was hosted by Microbiology and Biotechnology department. The VES College hosted National Level 7th Sajjan Gupta Konark Memorial Award and Research poster competition. About 283 posters from colleges of various states were displayed and Judged by eminent researchers and scientists.
|2015 – 2016|
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) Organized a Two Day National Level Conference “EVOLVING AS A SMART COLLEGE: CONCEPT, OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES” on 17th & 18th February, 2016 in collaboration with Vijnana Bharati, Mumbai
- National-Level Seminar on 25th July, 2015“Deep learning and deep web” organized by IT department on 25th July 2015: Dr. J.K.Sahoo, Dept. of Mathematics, BITS Pilani, Goa, Mr. Shridhar Iyengar, Network Security Analyst, Bangalore.
2014 – 2015:
- International Symposium on “New Horizons in Chemistry” (ISNHC – 2014) on 8th & 9th December, 2014 organised by Department of Chemistry
- National-Level Seminar on 5th July, 2014 on “Big Data Analytics” organized by IT department on 5th July 2014: Dr. T Senthil Kumar, Amruta Institute of Technology, Coimbatore.
- U.G.C. sponsored One Day State Level Seminar on the topic “Outsourcing: Boon or Bane?”was held on 12th August, 2014 in association with Higher Education Forum
- Regional seminar on “Relevance of Swami Vivekananda’s Thoughts for Nation Building” organized on 29th Sep 2013: Swami Sarvapriyanandji (RK Mission), Dr. Ashok Modak (Adjunct Prof. Center for Eurasian Studies), Shri. Virendra Parekh (Economist), Prin. Dr. Magare (Kirti College), Prof. Kamble (TISS), Prof. Kolhe (Ruparel College), Shri. PS Deodhar (Industrialist), Dr. Ajit Ranade (Chief Economist, Birla Group), Dr. Girish Jakhotiya (Management Consultant), Shri. PG Pathak (CA).
- State Level seminar “Microbiology and Biotechnology for a better tomorrow” organized by Microbiology department on 16th Feb 2014: Dr. K.M. Sreenivas (Hi- Media Lab), Dr. R.D.Joshi (Yogeshwari Mahavidyalaya),Dr. A.M.Deshmukh (President Microbiologists Society), Ms. Deepika Bhandari (Institute of Forensic Science, Mumbai
2012 – 2013:
- Report on UGC Sponsored State Level Seminar on The Changing Role of Financial Sector Regulators in the Liberalizing Indian Economy on 14th Sep 2012.
- National level conference (Mathemight-07) Mathemight 07 conducted Surprises in mathematics and their applications” organized by mathematics department on 18th, 19th and 20th Jan, 2013 Sponsored by National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI): Speakers Prof. Rajeeva Karandikar (Director of the Institute of Mathematics, Chennai), Dr. KC Chakraborty (Deputy Governor, RBI), Prof. Amiya K Pani (Chair Professor, IIT Mumbai), Dr. M. Vanninathan (TIFR), Dr. M. C. Joshi (IIT Bombay), Dr. Sharad Bhartiya (IIT Bombay), Dr. Avinash Dharmadhikari (Tata Motors).
- Research Scholars Meet (RSM) organized by Chemistry department on 15th and 16th Feb 2013: Mr. Peter Hanik: President, Reliance Industry, Dr. R. M. Iyer: Former Group director, (BARC), Dr. A.V.R. Reddy: Head, ACD (BARC), Dr. S. K. Kulashreshta: BARC, Mrs. S.V. Bhat: Vaze college, Prof. H.B. Singh: IIT, Bombay, Prof. V. R. Ajgaonkar: University of Mumbai, Dr. R. P. Patel: Associate Dean, HBNI, Dr. S.K. Agarwal: Associate Director (BARC).
2010 – 2011:
- A Workshop on Research Methodology was organized with the initiative of the Research Circle from 14th March 2011 to 23rd August 2011. 21 participants attended the workshop (15 internal and 6 from other colleges). The 36 hours workshop included preliminaries of research, the research design, Tools, Statistical Techniques and use of Statistical Software for data Analysis. The Resource persons were faculty members from University or Research Institutes with a rich experience in Research. The workshop was well received by all the participants.
- Physics Department conducted a Seminar on “Frontier in Material Science” on 15th & 16th of December, 2010.
- Economics Department conducted a Intercollegiate Poster Presentation on 7 December, 2010.
- The Computer Science Department was proud to carry out a two day workshop on the EJB Technology and Web Services. The workshop was conducted for teachers from various college of Mumbai University by the PLedge team of Patni Company (as a part of the Faculty development program). The workshop was held on 25th and 26th of October 2010. We had Mr. Anil Patil as the resource person from Patni Company to conduct this workshop. The event was inaugurated by the Principal of the college along with the program coordinator Ms Geeta Menon, HR Manager, from Patni and Ms Ambuja Salgaonkar, the chairman of Board of Studies of Computer Science from the Mumbai University.
2009 – 2010:
- The Research Circle of our college along with R.C.F. held a two-day national level interdisciplinary seminar on “Global Warming: Causes, Consequences and Coping Strategies” on 22nd and 23 January 2010, wherein several experts in the field along with participants from the industry took part. The chairperson of the seminar was Principal Dr. (Mrs.) J. K. Phadnis, The convenor and co-converner were Dr. (Mrs.) S. Nagpurkar and Dr. V. Barathe respectively. The seminar was inaugurated by J. Kohareswarn, Director, Marketing, R.C.F. in the presense of Shri. B. L. Boolani and other illuminories. Dr. Sanjay Deshmukh Head of Life Science department, University of Mumbai delivered the keynote address. Another prominent presentation was by Dr. Rakesh Kumar, Scientist, NEERI, The highlight of the seminar was the special case study presented by some farmers from Harayana who have obtained and traded “Carbon Credits” under the “Clean Development Mechanism”. There was also a presentation by Ms. Ruchi Jain, India Co-ordinator of 350.org who was a part of the Indian Youth Delegation to the recent Copenhagen Summit. The Valedictory Address was given by Mr. U. S. Jha, Chairman and Managing Director of R.C.F. A poster competition on the seminar topic was also organized in which 35 entries were received. Many of our ollege Professors also guided students and presented posters at this seminar.
- Dept. of Economics along with the Board of studies in Economics organized alone Day workshop on the New syllabus of the T.Y. B.A. paper VIII ‘Indian Financial System’ on 5th November 2009.
- At the invitation of the department of Psychology, Mrs. Radhika Narayanan from S.P. Jain Institute of Management Research conducted a one – day inter-collegiate workshop on “Discovering one-self: Explore your Potentials” on 27th June 2009.
- A workshop on the revised syllabus of Medical Laboratory Technology (T.Y.B.Sc. Applied Component) was conducted by the Microbiology Department on 25th July 2009 in collaboration with BOS (Microbiology). It was attended by MLT teachers of Mumbai University.
2008 – 2009:
- The department of Microbiology and Biotechnology organize a one-day workshop on 9th December 2008 on “Solid Waste and Vermicompositing” for 170 post graduate students from various colleges of Mumbai.
- The department of Computer Science of our College hosted a one – day workshop for F.Y.B.Sc. (Computer Science) Revised Syllabus on 12th July 2008 that was attended by 75 lecturers from various colleges.
2007 – 2008:
- In 2007-2008, the department of Microbiology organized a one-day workshop for teachers of M.Sc. Microbiology on ‘Validation, Calibration and Traceability” in view of the new syllabus introduced in M.Sc. – Part II in Microbiology. The workshop was conducted by Ms. Suniti Dixit of Ashalini Lab Technique services, a NABL accredited lab. It was attended by PG teachers of various colleges affiliated to University of Mumbai.
- Copyright Reserved 08 – This special festival started last year was organized this year in the month of February specially to showcase the short films, Music Videos, Advertisements and Documentaries made by the BMM students. Rajyesh Mallik, short filmmaker and member of the IMPA (Indian Motion Pictures Association) was invited to judge the event. Mr. Mallik’s short film “Confessions” won three awards (Best Short Film, Best Short Film from India and Best Director) at a film festival in Canada. Interestingly, three of our second year students – Pratap, Sahil and Pankaj assisted Mr. Mallik in this inning short film. Our alumni Sriram and Hari Pillai were also invited to judge the films and encourage the students.
2006 – 2007:
- Microbiology Department conducted Interdisciplinary Seminar on Microbiology Curriculum transaction on 29th & 30th December, 2006.
2004 – 2005:
- The Physics department organized ‘Eureka-a workshop on Computational Physics’ on 27th, 28th & 29th January 2005.About 50 participants from other institutions and 25 students from YES College participated in the workshop. The participants included 20 teachers from Degree College, 2 teachers from junior college, 2 persons from Homi Bhabha Centre, 11 M.Sc students and 13 B.Sc students.The objective of the workshop was to make Physics teaching and learning process effective and enjoyable. The department has taken initiative in promoting Physics Education to meet the emerging challenges in the wake of the deciine in the number of students pursuing Physics as a career.
- The Microbiology Dept organized a one day seminar on ‘Animal Cell Culture – recent trends and applications’ on Saturday, 27th November 2004. The programme was held in the college auditorium and was attended by 300 delegates from 25 colleges in and around Mumbai. The speakers were Dr. R.R. Bhonde & Dr. (Ms) V. Kale from NCCS (National Centre for Cell Sciences), Pune and Dr. Vivek Tanavde from Reliance Life Science, Mumbai. The event was coordinated by Prof (Mrs.) Dona Joseph with the whole-hearted support of the entire Dept.The focus of the seminar was on ‘Stem Cells’, a very current and controversial area of biological research. Stem cells or undifferentiated cells are the original parent cells from which all the cells in the body originate. These cells are present in a few adult tissues such as the bone marrow & brain. But the best source of the cells is foetal tissues and blood from the umbilical cord (known as cord blood). Stem cells, being undifferentiated, can be made to differentiate into any kind of cell found in the body. This is what makes them so useful and an attractive prospect for use in therapy. Stem cells can be used to treat degenerative diseases of the brain such as Alzheirper’s and Parkinson’s disease. They can also be used for organ regeneration and treatment of diabetes & cancer. Use of foetal tissue as a source of stem cells has been banned in the US. This is due to the concern that fetuses may be produced and destroyed for the sole purpose of research, thus demeaning the value of life.
- A Career guidance seminar for the Microbiology and Biotechnology students was arranged on 17th Dec, 2005. The resource persons were people from the industry and academia, including our own alumni. The students were informed about various career options available to them.
2003 – 2004:
- The department of Computer science & IT organized a half day workshop on C# for B.Sc. IT (Sem VI) on 24rth Feb 2004. The faculties from various colleges were invited. The topics regarding university paper and syllabus were discussed.
- The department of Psychology organized an inter-collegiate Psychology Conference called Psycon in 2003. The theme of the conference was “Aging and Quality of Life”. Mr. R. H. Mendonca X-Commissionaire of Police was the chief guest at the conference. He spoke on the difficulties being faced by the senior citizens of metropolis and the steps that needed to be taken to safeguard their interest. The conference was attended by more than 100 delegates. A total of 26 papers were presented by students from 8 colleges and the university. A unique feature of the conference was all papers were researched and presented by students.